The Charlotte Quilters’ Guild donates hundreds of handmade quilts each year to comfort hospitalized infants and children, cancer patients, and veterans throughout the Charlotte community. We welcome quilt donations from members and non-members alike, quilts made as group efforts or by individual makers, and we provide FREE donation quilt kits with simple instructions that are perfect for beginners. These kits are offered as a convenience — feel free to modify our kit patterns, mixing in fabric of your own, and of course you are welcome to donate quilts of your own design made with all your own fabrics if you prefer. Kits are available for pickup and finished quilts can be dropped off at our monthly meeting, the first Wednesday of each month (excluding July) at 6:30 PM at the Tyvola Senior Center.
Suggested Donation Quilt Sizes
NICU Cuddle Quilts
Pediatric Unit Cuddle Quilts
Cancer Comfort Quilts
USO at CLT
Lap Quilts for Hospice Veterans
36, 42, or 48″ L
Frequently Asked Questions:
- I’m a beginning quilter, what if my work isn’t good enough?
- Our kits are designed with you in mind. The piecing is simple and we ask only that you do your best work. It doesn’t have to be perfect.
- If I take a kit from the guild meeting, how long do I have to finish it?
- Suggested turnaround time is 2-3 months. If you need more time to finish, no problem — take as long as you need.
- What kind of quilting is required for these?
- We are not picky about quilting. We always have finished quilt tops that need quilting. If you are beginning to learn machine quilting, we are happy for you to practice on our quilts! You can stipple, stitch diagonal lines, or use a design with a motif.
- I don’t do quilting. Is it okay if I take a kit and only do the piecing?
- Absolutely! Just return the finished quilt top to us and we will enlist other volunteers to do the quilting and binding.
- Do I have to hand stitch the binding?
- No, machine binding is fine. You can use a straight stitch, a small zig zag, or a small decorative stitch.
Your Question Wasn’t Listed?
Contact our Outreach Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email email@example.com to explore the possibility of partnering with The Charlotte Quilters’ Guild to host your organization’s next service project event.